Jun 5, 2012

A quick look - Quinta Da Gaivosa 2005

I will be doing these smaller reviews of wines I find interesting. Needless to say I recommend trying Quinta Da Gaivosa out and here are the reasons why:

- Great body, that doesn't overdo it.
- Over 80-year-old vines blending about 20 local grape varieties.
- Already signs of ageing with the most spicy and tanninic edge chopped of.
- Still has potential for around 5-7 years storage (or maybe even more) - I would taste one every two years, write down notes and compare.
- Portugese reds are underrated.
- Great balance with oak, tannins, spices and berries.
- Works well with steaks or a huge cheese platter.
- At a bit under 40eur/bottle it's worth the investment.


Quinta Da Gaivosa 2005, paired with grandpa's old wooden pipes. Available at Alko in boxes of six.


2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I was wondering where you managed to get hold of this in the UK. I am having trouble tracking down a bottle or two.
    Cheers,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Alex!
    I'm operating from Finland so I don't know what your local stores offer. My suggestion is to check out http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/quinta+da+gaivosa/2005 (if you haven't already) and maybe order a few bottles. Also, check out your favourite wine store and ask for them to order it. Great wine! Douro Valley rockin' it!

    ReplyDelete