Mar 9, 2012

The quest for a perfect Zinfandel

I've always been keen on finding a wine from a grape variety that is somehow special. Zinfandel has this special little thing, since it's ancestor comes from Croatia and the grape itself is basically Primitivo (found in Italy) but there comes a certain twist when it makes it "abroad". There are only subtle hints of history here, since the Zinfandel you get these days is its own persona and oh boy do I love the characteristics.

So a while back I started a quest to find the best Zinfandel there is and it is pretty much California-related all the way. You can always go and diss the Cali-Chardonnays and other French whatnots - that's easy. The Zinfandel though, is a whole different thing - it's big and it's popular but whats most important that its succesful in terms of characteristics and persona. Hell, theres even a ZinFest going on over there. It's unique and it's something Californian wines provide that sweeps everything else they have pretty much off the table. (Wait a minute did I just say that?!)

What am I looking for? To put it short: Something that will blow my mind and taste like nothing else. Sounds quite epic I know. A nice Zinfandel is robust, dense, spicy but balanced, not overly tanninic and gives berry aromas that don't go to the juicy side. It's a wine for a well done steak and a good companion on a BBQ - just to name a few, it's a wine for a wide variety of food.

Today I'm enjoying a nice Zinfandel from Castoro Cellars, the 2009 vintage (Available at Finnish Alko stores, 14,90e) and this is a good competitor I must say. The quest continues though and I don't know if it's a lifelong one or will I eventually hit something that makes all others not-worth-it-anymore. Hopefully I can get over to Cali later this year to do some intensive tastings!
A recommend for your weekends meaty dish

2 comments:

  1. As you say, a good competitor. They have some single vineyard labels that are better. The people are great. Go there if you get to California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, David! As I said, the hunt continues and I bet there are many others out there that will rock my socks off! :) Castoro is definately on the list when I get to Cali

    ReplyDelete