Feb 6, 2012

An introduction

Hello there,

I'm Lasse Yrjölä, a Finnish guy who loves wines. Rather quite simple, eh?

My passion derives from many years spent working for the Finnish Alcohol Monopoly - Alko Oy. Even though I have my critizims for them I have to admit the amount of different wines I got to taste was astonishing. It gave me that final kick to really analyze, keep track and get more deeply into the culture. The main problem with me is I get into things with a passion thats hard to shake off. In my Alko days I just couldn't keep myself all that neutral like we were supposed to be - I had my opinions about the wines and I wanted to express them. Now I feel unchained and free to explore the culture as an entrepeneur and I'm not shy to share my views and knowledge.

I look for persona in the wine - some would you the word "Character". Thats probably the easiest way to describe what I'm after. It's like meeting people - sometimes the chemistry is there and sometimes nowhere to be found. Every new person you meet is sub-conciously compared and analyzed by the formula inside you, social skills, mutual interests, beauty and such. It's quite the same in wines. You build your knowledge, but keep your preferences. Sometimes even the preferences might change when you grow as a person or when you hit that perfect dish with a wine you didn't like before and your eyes open to see (and taste!) the magic.

It's not all Alko influenced though. There are people around me who have really inspired to make a shift towards wines and showed the necessary attitude. Young cats out there like Ilkka Sirén and Arto Koskelo (ViiniTV fame) showed Finland (and apparently the world) that there is much more fun in wines if you just simply change the attitude and perspective into something more funny, honest and vibrant. Hell, one even might say bring it to this century!

No comments:

Post a Comment